Top News Archive
- Replacement URL for weather.noaa.gov
- 2016 Safe Boating Week: May 21-27
- Senior Marine Forecaster Scott Prosise retires from OPC January 3 after over 39 years of service. Thanks, Scott, for everything you've given to the NWS and to the people you've served!
- Coast Guard celebrates 225 years of service on August 4th
- 2015 Safe Boating Week: May 16-22
- The Experimental Wind Against Current Page is now online with a link to an optional survey for comments and feedback.
- Take a Virtual Tour of the Ocean Prediction Center
- The Ocean Prediction Center's FTP site now requires "passive" mode. More details here.
- The Ocean Prediction Center now has a YouTube Channel! Please subscribe to it at: https://www.youtube.com/user/NWSOPC
- New & smaller zones for the Offshore Waters Forecasts were implemented April 1, 2014
- 2014 Safe Boating Week: May 17-23
- Please note OPC's Facebook URL has changed to www.facebook.com/NWSOPC
- A new N Atlantic Surface Analysis loop that recaps the 14 unique hurricane force events during the month of December is now available!
- OPC's Joe Sienkiewicz participated in the November 2013 EUMETSAT Satellite Altimetry Training Session. Download presentations here
- Experimental lightning strike density product a useful tool for mariners
- OPC's Joe Sienkiewicz participated in the 2013 Seven Seas Cruising Association in Annapolis, MD. Download presentations here
- Experimental National Marine Weather Web Portal is seeking comments and feedback
- OPC to introduce new & smaller zones for the Offshore Waters Forecasts in late 2013
- OPC plans to discontinue obsolete GRIB2 data as it is now available through the NWS's National Digital Forecast Database (learn more)
- The US Coast Guard will terminate MF services on 2182/2187.5/2670 KHz including weather broadcasts Aug 1, 2013. (see official PDF notice)
- The Ocean Prediction Center has joined Twitter! Please follow us at: https://twitter.com/NWSOPC
- The Hydrometeorological Prediction Center (HPC) becomes the Weather Prediction Center (WPC) effective March 5, 2013
- Your feedback is requested on proposed changes to the forecast charts depicting the ice edge and freezing spray warning labels
- Information on SANDY: OPC Support Page – National Hurricane Center – NOAA StormCentral
- This PDF document from the National Hurricane Center describes how the National Weather Service will continue to provide information on Sandy before, during and after landfall. Sandy is expected to be a significant wind, rain, surge and snow event regardless of its tropical status. (see our October 28 Facebook post)
- NOAA's world-class weather and
climate prediction center opens at University of Maryland in College Park. Here are some
interesting facts about the new building (pdf).
- On Monday October 15th, we're cutting the ribbon at the brand new NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction. Here are some interesting facts about our new building (pdf).
- OPC has launched a new mobile website and your feedback is welcome
- Experimental freezing spray guidance has been updated and expanded
- The Ocean Prediction Center is moving operations beginning 8AM EDT Friday, August 10
- The OPC's 2011 Accomplishments Report
- OPC's GIS product suite has been expanded
- 2012 Safe Boating Week: May 19-25
- Feedback requested on charts with historical track positions
- RSS feeds of OPC text products now available
- OPC's ftp site is also available via "http". For example, http://ftp.mpc.ncep.noaa.gov/grids/
- Buoy 41002 will be relocated on or about November 1, 2011
- Feedback requested on proposed NDBC buoy 44018 relocation
- The 2010 OPC Accomplishments report is now available (pdf)
- Follow OPC on Facebook
- OPC's Marine Briefing page provides quick access to forecast charts